The location of Villa del Balbianello is one of the locations that I have most appreciated during my experience as a wedding photographer in Lake Como. I have collected all the most important information, to allow you to get to know the history, the structure and answer the most frequently asked questions about the location. Enjoy the reading!
Villa del Balbianello: the history
Villa del Balbianello is a historic residence on the Lavedo peninsula in Lenno, on the shores of Lake Como. The structure was built in the late 18th century on a pre-existing monastery at the behest of Cardinal Maria Durini. With the cardinal's death in 1797, ownership of Villa del Balbianello passed to Giuseppe Sepolina. A few years later, he sold the complex to Luigi Porro Lambertenghi, who began renovating the buildings. In particular, the adjacent church of San Giovanni was restored and a link was built between the loggia and the dock.
When Lambertenghi died, the mansion was bought by Giuseppe Arconati Visconti. The latter transformed the villa into a literary salon, hosting famous writers such as Alessandro Manzoni. Giuseppe's heir, his son Gianmartino, then undertook a series of new works, expanding the garden and loggia. Soon afterwards, however, Villa del Balbianello began its inexorable decline, being abandoned for over thirty years.
In 1974, it was then acquired by the explorer Guido Monzino, who transformed the structure into a museum of sorts. He furnished the Villa with numerous relics from his travels and texts about his geographical research. When he died in 1988, having no heirs, Villa del Balbianello passed, as per his will, to the Fondo Ambiente Italiano. The FAI has been taking care of the complex ever since, opening it up to visits, events and film shoots.
Villa del Balbianello: the perfect setting for an exclusive wedding
The splendid Villa del Balbianello is one of Lake Como's most romantic and prestigious residences. It is famous for its poignant views and is the perfect location for refined and exclusive weddings. Getting married here means in fact celebrating an unforgettable event that will enchant all participants.
Villa del Balbianello is an ultra-glamorous destination thanks to the dedication and services offered by the team running it. Strolling along its bucolic paths, you can admire Lake Como from a privileged position. And it is precisely here, among the tall palm trees and ancient statues, that you will be able to realise an enviable wedding shoot. The extra treat? Don't miss the opportunity also to take advantage of the dock, making your triumphal entrance directly by boat.
You can also celebrate your evocative civil ceremony in this splendid green areaand continue the day in the adjacent marquees. Villa del Balbianello in fact has a garden equipped for every eventuality, in which to serve a banquet in grand style. Under a dense network of romantic lights you can celebrate with your guests until late into the night.
If, on the other hand, you prefer a more intimate and visually striking corner, the Villa's loggia will provide you with unforgettable moments. Under its three arches covered in verdant ivy, you will be able to serve both your banquet and aperitif in the name of refinement. Villa del Balbianello is truly a magical place that is sure to amaze your loved ones. Whatever your preference and taste, you will find here a little corner of paradise in which to experience your most beautiful day.
Villa del Balbianello: the structure of the location
Villa del Balbianello is a complex of several buildings with elegant facades covered in climbing ivy. Perched on the Lavedo peninsula, the splendid structure was built on several terraces, housing a verdant park. Inside are statues, century-old trees and flowering hedges, elegantly framing the view of the lake.
Going down an elegant stone staircase, it is possible from here to reach the characteristic dock. This is still in use today and allows access to the location directly by sea. At the top of the park is the splendid 18th-century villa. Numerous geological finds are inside, amidst large, decorated salons and luxurious period furniture. In fact, the main building houses a prestigious museum, in which the relics of explorer Guido Monzino are preserved.
However, for obvious reasons, the large halls are not available for organising events and weddings. These can only be held outside, on one of the structure's two large terraces. The first is the so-called Terrazzo Canfora, which can accommodate about a hundred guests. This communicates with the splendid loggia, which can also be used for more intimate dinners for up to 60 guests. There is also a second space, the Terrazza a Lago, where marquees can be erected in case of rain. This can accommodate up to 150 guests, offering them a splendid panoramic view of the lake basin.
Villa del Balbianello is truly an elegant, rich and varied location in which to spend unforgettable moments with your loved ones. So if you are looking for a magical place that will amaze your guests, it will not disappoint.
Frequently Asked Questions About Villa del Balbianello
- Where is Villa del Balbianello located? Villa del Balbianello is located on the Lavedo peninsula in Lenno, on the shores of Lake Como.
- Can I celebrate my wedding inside Villa del Balbianello? Certainly. You can organise the shooting and reception inside the structure and in all the adjoining areas. The entire complex is exclusively dedicated to your celebration. Upon request, you can also celebrate your civil and symbolic ceremony directly on the lake.
- Does Villa del Balbianello have a restaurant? No, Villa del Balbianello does not have a restaurant. However, if you do not have one, you can choose to entrust the catering service to one of the structure's partners.
- What events can be celebrated at Villa del Balbianello? You can organise your most important celebrations at Villa del Balbianello. The structure is in fact open for weddings and private parties. You can also rent the Villa for photo shoots, television and film shoots. Finally, you can discover both the interior and the park of the complex by booking a guided tour.
- Can Villa del Balbianello host business meetings? Yes, the structure can host meetings, conventions and gala evenings. It is also often chosen by major brands to present their products. In fact, the complex offers the best technology to organisers, for an event that is catered for down to the last detail.
- Can I stay overnight at Villa del Balbianello? Unfortunately, the Villa does not have any accommodation or suites. However, you can find several hotels and flats to stay in the structure's surroundings.
Whatever location you choose for your wedding photos in Lake Como, don't forget to count on the right wedding photographer.
He will capture the emotions of that day and turn them into memories you will cherish forever.
If you're looking for a wedding photographer in Lake Como, or are still considering wedding venues, take a look at our wedding photography galleries.
look at the other locations
HELLO! IT IS A PLEASURE TO MEET YOU, I AM
and i am a
In addition to being a wedding photographer, I am a husband (lucky!) and a dad (super lucky!).
I love happy tail wags and purring in the evening twilight, which is why we also have two beautiful furries in our family, Octavia and Nova.
I love the smell of the woods where everything is so wild, where you can reconnect deeply with nature. In the same way, I love the only means that allows you to stay firmly connected to the world around you, the motorbike.
My wife Giulia and I travelled across Europe to the North Cape, where we left a piece of our hearts.